Assistant Professor of Experimental Atmospheric Physical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen
The successful candidate will be a member of a team of scientists working to discover the fundamental physical chemistry mechanisms behind atmospheric phenomena. The Department of Chemistry at the University of Copenhagen is proud to announce the establishment of a new Laboratory for Atmospheric Chemistry on the top floor of the Niels Bohr Building adjacent to the new rooftop Atmospheric Observatory. With support from the Danish Ministry for Research and Education we are building a new atmospheric simulation chamber, a rooftop monitoring station and an outdoor photochemical reaction chamber. Ongoing research will combine this experimental infrastructure with quantum chemistry and reaction system modelling.
The Atmospheric Chemistry group at the Department has a leading international reputation in research on the mechanisms of chemical transformations in the atmosphere. This includes research on CFC replacements, reaction mechanisms and isotope effects, supported by quantum chemistry and modelling. Our new colleague in the area of experimental atmospheric physical chemistry will be part of a dynamic research environment. We primarily seek a talented professional with the long term goal of enriching and building on this tradition. We are especially interested in research on the gas phase mechanisms leading to particle formation, and pollution dynamics in the outdoor and indoor environments. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties.
The tenure-track Assistant Professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
Six overall criteria apply for Assistant Professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. Furthermore, each candidate must be assessed according to the specific requirements stated in the job advertisement. Please read more at https://jobportal.ku.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger/kriterier-for-videnskabelige-stillinger/dokumenter-til-meritering/5a_Criteria_for_recognising_merit_-Assistant_professors.pdf.
The position is open from 1 January 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Further information on the Department is linked at https://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to the Head of the Department of Chemistry, Professor Pernille Harris.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed https://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Prizes and awards
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan – description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervising
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is Sunday 31 July 2022, 23:59 GMT +2.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 30 November 2022.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-01258/22-2N
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Application deadline: 31-07-2022Employment start: 01-01-2023Working hours: Full timeDepartment/Location: Department of Chemistry