Associate Professor of Genetics of Metabolic Health, seeking a highly motivated and dynamic researcher for an associate professor position
We are seeking a highly motivated and dynamic researcher for an associate professor position. Candidates should have a strong background in genetic epidemiology, epidemiology, metabolism or a related field and have an interest in precision health. This is a 4-year position with a start date 1 October 2022, or upon agreement.
The vision of the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research is to strengthen interdisciplinary research that transforms our understanding of the mechanisms underlying metabolic health and disease and then apply this knowledge to new prevention and treatment strategies. Established in 2010, we moved into new laboratories, offices and meeting spaces in the Mærsk Tower, www.maersktower.ku.dk/, in 2017.
The Center has approximately 260 employees working across a wide range of biomedical disciplines in a highly collaborative, international research environment. You can read more about us here: www.cbmr.ku.dk.
The successful candidate will lead a research group focussed on elucidating the mechanisms that underly the development of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and related complications through examining the contribution of genetic, molecular, and environmental factors. The candidate will formulate innovative research questions, design studies using data available at the Center, and implement state-of-the-art epidemiological and statistical approaches to infer causality, examine interactions, and integrate and analyse multiple -omics data. The candidate will foster collaborations with research groups at the institutional, a national and international level.
In addition, the responsibilities include:
- research, including publication and academic dissemination duties,
- mentoring junior researchers,
- research-based teaching,
- public outreach, and
- participation in formal pedagogical training program for assistant professors.
- Academic assessments.
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic senior researcher who, in addition to the desired interests and expertise stated above, has the following skills and qualifications:
- a PhD (or equivalent) in genetic epidemiology, epidemiology, metabolism or a related field, and a background in nutrition and exercise science is an advantage,
- a strong computational background and expertise in dealing with large (-omics) data sets,
- internationally recognized, with a network of collaborators,
- a strong track record of scientific productivity in respected peer-reviewed journals,
- a strong track record of attracting extramural funding,
- an active interest in obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, metabolism, nutrition, physical activity, lifestyle and precision health,
- experience in mentoring students and postdocs and managing research staff,
- research leadership roles, such as associate editor of journals, member of program committees, grant reviewer, etc.
- good interpersonal and communicative skills, fluent in English, both written and spoken,
- a team player and “can do” attitude.
Six overall criteria apply for associate professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. Find information about each criteria here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/criteria-for-recognising-merit.
Furthermore, each applicant must be able to document:
- Research qualifications at the level that can be achieved by satisfactorily completing a period of employment as an assistant professor/postdoc, but may also be obtained in other ways
- Teaching qualifications and pedagogical competencies
- Research-based teaching
Place of employment
The place of employment is at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Maersk Tower, Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen. We offer a creative and stimulating work environment in a dynamic, international research setting.
Terms of employment
The employment of this position is a full time and fixed-term position for 4 years (can be extended). Starting date is 1 October 2022, or after agreement.
Salary, pension and terms of employment will be in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Taxation and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations). Depending on qualifications, a supplement may be negotiated.
Non-Danish and Danish applicants may be eligible for tax reductions, if they hold a PhD degree and have not lived in Denmark in the last 10 years.
The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2020.
The application must be submitted in English and must include the following documents:
- Application, including motivations for applying for the position (Maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae, including information about external funding
- Diplomas (Master’s, PhD, and other relevant certificates)
- A complete list of publications
- Research plan (3‐5 pages)
- Uploads of maximum 5 publications to be considered in the assessment
- Teaching plan
- Teaching portfolio (Guidelines: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. The Dean then appoints an expert assessment committee in order to make an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee and each applicant has the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that relates to the applicant him/herself. You can read about the recruitment process at https://jobportal.ku.dk/.
Please note that the applicant will be contacted if the assessment committee requires further documentation.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministerial Order no. 242 of 13 March 2012 on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
The University of Copenhagen encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position.
Please submit the application with the required attachments. The closing date for applications is 23.59 p.m. CET, Tuesday, 2 June 2022.
Interviews for this position are likely to be held in the end og August/beginning og September 2022.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Application deadline: 02-06-2022Employment start: 01-10-2022Working hours: Full timeDepartment/Location: Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research