The Maketing & Communications team in the Haskyane School of Buisness is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Senior Marketing & Communications Strategist.
The Senior Marketing & Communications Strategist reports to the Director, Marketing & Communications at the Haskayne School of Business and works closely with other members of the school’s communications, marketing, recruitment and community engagement teams, as well as operational units.
The Senior Marketing & Communications Strategist creates, implements, measures, evaluates and adjusts the marketing and communications plans, recruitment campaigns and programs to increase brand awareness and the profile of the Haskayne School of Business. The Strategist develops internal and external storytelling content (written and video format) and website content to promote student recruitment of the Haskayne graduate programs. The Strategist leads and executives a social media strategy, email strategy and digital advertising strategy. The role includes high-level, fast-paced marketing and communications projects that require agility and confidence to adapt strategies quickly, make judgement calls and take calculated risks to achieve ambitious targets. The position deals with complex issues and deep awareness of the competitive market.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Develops comprehensive and robust marketing and communications plans that identify audience, communications channels, key messages, tactics and advertising processes.
- Identifies, researches, writes and proactively produces content to utilize in advertising, social media, email campaigns and Haskayne website.
- Writes and edits website content, blog articles, social media ads and posts, and program brochures.
- Ensures alignment of marketing and communications efforts to enhance pride and ambassadorship among the faculty, staff, students and alumni of Haskayne.
- In consultation with Haskayne units and other appropriate stakeholders, develops and implements an effective and focused marketing and communications plan with a variety of initiatives to promote Haskayne grad programs and to raise the profile of the School.
- Works in conjunction with the Director, Marketing & Communications on the development and implementation of strategic, internal and external marketing and communication plans. Plans reflect program key messages and brand to support Haskayneâ€™s strategic objectives.
- Manages relationships with digital media agency and advertising partners to plan, implement and measure ad campaigns.
- Develops content for paid and owned channels.
- Monthly performance analytics and adjustments to strategy.
- Work with partners to plan and execute their advertising requirements.
- Effective management of multiple projects, programs and campaigns to achieve deadlines, stay on budget and aligned with Haskayne’s student recruitment goals and strategic plan.
- Effective multi-tasking skills are required to juggle and prioritize multiple projects, programs and campaigns.
- Results oriented and proactive in identifying areas for improvement and coming up with creative solutions.
- Delivers training in advertising and social media management for partners around the school such as Executive Education and Centres.
- As a senior member of the marketing and communications team, provides mentorship and communications counsel to the advisor and student team members on a frequent basis.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- A related university degree (in marketing, communications or journalism) is required.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in the communications, public relations and/or journalism fields with extensive experience in digital advertising, social media and email marketing is required.
- Demonstrated relationships with digital media agency, advertising and social media partners is required.
- Demonstrated experience using digital advertising and social media tools and software is required.
- Demonstrated excellence creating and executing effective marketing and communication plans and large-scale programs/campaigns aimed at various target audiences.
- Ability to provide leadership to junior roles including training and mentorship.
- Confidence to lead initiatives and provide counsel to senior leaders and to work collaboratively with others in the faculty.
- Excellent project management skills with demonstrated success in planning, organizing and managing projects. Strong ability to work under pressure with competing deadlines and to handle numerous priorities at once. Experience with project management systems/tools is strong asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work with peers to enhance business process with cross-functional teams. Excellent consultation, collaboration and influencing skills; proven ability to build and maintain relationships.
- Expertise in creating compelling communication pieces for a wide variety of audiences using multiple communication vehicles. Communications experience in a large complex organization is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated experience in copy writing and advance knowledge of Canadian Press style guidelines
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Excellent research and interview skills.
- Excellent oral communication skills and ability to handle diverse communications assignments with tact, courtesy and discretion.
- Ability to speak and write clearly and succinctly in a variety of settings and styles; ability to distill complex information, listen effectively and to deliver messages that have the desired effect.
- Knowledge of post-secondary educational issues is an asset.
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty leadership and staff at all levels.
- Proven ability to work to deadlines while managing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with constantly shifting priorities.
- Strong attention to detail.
Application Deadline: July 19, 2022
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase 3.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (email@example.com) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.