Reference No.: CE 2022/14
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin (HZB) is a research centre for fundamental and applied research in the field of energy materials. HZB operates advanced analytics, such as the large synchrotron facility BESSY II. For the development of the next generation of electrochemical energy storage systems, we perform research on new nanomaterials such as 2D transition metal carbides and nitrides, so-called MXenes. Especially, we apply spectroscopy and microscopy techniques to monitor in situ/operando electrochemical processes.
The NANOMXM project, funded by an ERC Starting Grant, focuses on the nanoscale chemical imaging of MXenes during pseudocapacitive electrochemical energy storage using in situ X ray imaging.
To strengthen our team, we are looking for you as a doctoral student for nanoscale chemical imaging of 2D materials.
- You perform electrochemical characterization of MXene-based pseudocapacitors and/or batteries.
- You contribute to the development of innovative electrochemical cells for in situ/operando spectroscopy.
- You are responsible for X-ray spectro/microscopy experiments at the synchrotron BESSY.
- You publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and present them at international conferences.
- Master’s degree in materials science, chemistry, physics, engineering, or related fields
- Hands-on experience with electrochemistry and spectroscopy
- Knowledge in the field of MXenes and/or electrochemical scanning probe microscopy would be valuable but not necessary
- Excellent analytic and problem-solving skills
- Highly proficient in English (written and oral communication)
- Willing to work with a collaborative spirit in an international and multidisciplinary team
Your Benefits at HZB
- A job at one of the 18 Helmholtz centres
- Work in the research environment of the science metropolis Berlin
- The opportunity to contribute together with researchers from all around the world to the development of renewable energies, energy stores and next-gen technologies for a climate-friendly future
- Work/life balance
- Flexible work hours with flexitime
- 39-hour week
- 30 days paid leave
- Mobile working on up to three days/week
- Comprehensive counselling services for family and career
- Health management and company sports programmes
- Financial support for public transport (Jobticket)
- Continuing education opportunities
- A company pension scheme (VBL)
Fixed term contract for 36 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 10.08.2022. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.