Reference No.: CE 2022/12
The Institute for Solar Fuels at HZB develops new materials and devices for the (photo)electrochemical conversion of cheap and abundant resources, such as water and CO2, to chemical fuels. We use advanced thin film deposition techniques to fabricate semiconducting light absorbers, catalysts, and passivation layers. Our characterization methods include photoelectrochemistry, time-resolved spectroscopy, and a variety of surface science techniques. In addition, we use modeling and simulation tools to identify and solve performance bottlenecks when scaling up (photo)electrochemical devices.
We seek two highly motivated PhD students to strengthen an ambitious multi-partner EU project on the development of integrated tandem photo-electrochemical devices for solar-driven H2 production and industrial waste valorization to high added-value chemicals.
- You perform photo-electrochemical experiments using tandem devices that generate H2 and high added-value chemicals.
- You develop multiphysics models for the integrated tandem device and perform dynamic simulations and validation experiments.
- You identify the key photoelectrode and device parameters that determine the yield and selectivity for H2 evolution and waste valorization using advanced photo-electrochemical techniques.
- You construct a proof-of-concept device and perform efficiency and stability measurements.
- You initiate and participate in collaborative efforts with our project partners and publish the results in peer-reviewed journals and at (inter)national conferences.
- Completed master’s degree in chemical engineering, chemistry, physics or related discipline
- Solid understanding of photo-electrochemistry, reactor engineering/design and mass-transport phenomena in (photo-)electrochemical processes
- Experience in multiphysics numerical modeling of (photo-)electrochemical processes is highly desired
- Passion for research
- Good command of spoken and written English
Your Benefits at HZB
- A job at one of the 18 Helmholtz centres
- Work in the research environment of the science metropolis Berlin
- The opportunity to contribute together with researchers from all around the world to the development of renewable energies, energy stores and next-gen technologies for a climate-friendly future
- Work/life balance
- Flexible work hours with flexitime
- 30 days paid leave
- Mobile working on up to three days/week
- Comprehensive counselling services for family and career
- Health management and company sports programmes
- Financial support for public transport (Jobticket)
- Continuing education opportunities
- A company pension scheme (VBL)
Fixed term contract for 36 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
Please upload the following documents with your application:
- Motivation letter (in English) describing your background and research interests
- Curriculum vitae (CV) listing your education, research experience, publications (if any), and contact details for two references
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 08.08.2022. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.