Department: Department of Economics
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Economics in the Faculty of Business and Economics is looking for a full-time doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Economics with a focus on consumer demand and/or labour supply with social comparisons.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a Ph.D. thesis in the field of Economics within the framework of a research project financed by the Research Board of the University of Antwerp, with Prof. dr. Sam Cosaert as promotor.
The research project incorporates social comparisons in state-of-the-art labour supply models. Individuals care not only about income per se, but also about how much they earn compared to others. Social comparisons and interdependent preferences have a profound effect on individual welfare. With negative interdependent preferences, better material outcomes for peers reduce the well-being of the individual. Social comparisons also shape the behaviour of individuals.
- You will acquire the relevant skills towards that goal by following Ph.D. level courses.
- You will actively participate in the research activities of the Department of Economics.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Department of Economics.
- You hold a Master degree in Economics or Social Economic Sciences, or related fields.
- You have a strong track record of study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity, and cooperation.
- You have excellent study results for microeconomics courses, you have strong quantitative skills (statistics or linear programming), and you are interested in aspects of behavioural economics (with insights from psychology and sociology).
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship will be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at the City campus (Stadscampus) of the University of Antwerp, in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
- We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 8 August 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV (including your study results obtained in the courses completed in your BA and Master degree), and your Master thesis.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Interviews will take place online at the end of August 2022.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. dr. Sam Cosaert, email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.