The Leibniz Institute on Aging – Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) in Jena is a federal and state government-funded researchinstitute and member of the Leibniz Association (Leibniz-Gemeinschaft). FLI’ s internationally visible and highly competitiveresearch is focused on understanding the mechanisms of aging and associated age-related diseases. Scientists from over 40countries are currently investigating the molecular mechanisms of aging and the occurrence of age-related diseases. Our aim isto create the basis for new approaches in medicine as a way to improve the health of the elderly (www.leibniz-fli.de).
The new research group of Dr. Melike Dönertas to be established in January 2023 is looking for a postdoctoral researcherposition in Artificial Intelligence to design and apply machine learning algorithms to study host-microbiome interactions during ageing.
Postdoc in Artificial Intelligence (m/f/d)
Research focus of the Lab:
The new research group of Dr. Melike Dönertas at the Leibniz Institute on Aging – Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) is part of theDFG-funded Collaborative Research Center on Predictability in Evolution (http://SFB1310). The group is funded by http://Carl-Zeiss Stiftung. Through the institute and network of collaborations, the group has access to state-of-art animal facilities,equipment for high-throughput data generation, and expertise for experimental validation of computational models. The group isestablishing an advanced computational infrastructure with CPU and GPU servers and has access to exceptional core-facilitysupport. More information about the group: http://donertas-group.github.io
Tasks and Challenges:
The overall focus of the project will be the developmentand application of computational frameworks to studyhost-microbe interactions, with a particular focus on ageseries and longitudinal datasets.
will have the flexibility to develop their own project and/orwork on a predefined project that may focus on dataintegration challenges or predictive modelling
● will be expected to assume a major role in the writing ofpublications
● can write individual fellowships and grant applications tosupport their research program and career (although notrequired)
● will be expected to work harmoniously with othercomputational and experimental biologists at the lab andinstitute to develop collaborative projects
● PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, computerscience, biology or related fields
● Experience with machine learning and deep learningalgorithms
● Exceptional programming skills and experience in R and/orPython
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills inEnglish
● Interest in ageing or microbiome research
● Evidence of productivity (publications and conferenceproceedings/abstracts)
● Genuine interest in following an independent researchcareer
● Experience in next-generation sequencing and other omicdata will be preferred
A motivated team that is building a new international research group – you can help create it! The institute is embeddedwithin the multidisciplinary Jena Beutenberg Campus, an interdisciplinary base for innovative research.
● A position integrated in the FLI PostDoc Network. The Network promotes interdisciplinary collaborations involving clinicianscientists, basic scientists and bioinformaticians and supports career development and postdoctoral training courses.
● The contract conditions and the salary will be according to the collective labour agreement for public service employees ofthe federal states of Germany (TV-L E13) for 2 years initially, with a possibility of extension. Expected starting date: January 2023
● Flexible working time, a family friendly working environment including support for child care solutions and http://dual career.
Please apply online through the FLI application portal by 01.09.2022 and provide a cover letter, your CV, your degreesand the names and contacts of 3 referees.