WZB Berlin Social Science Center
For its Institutions and Political Inequality Unit (IPI), the Berlin Social Science Center (WZB) is looking for four
Student Assistants (f/m/d)
on a temporary basis, from 1 October 2022 for a duration of 12 months with a weekly working time of up to 19 hours.
The WZB Berlin Social Science Center is a publicly financed research institution that conducts leading edge theory-based and problem-oriented social science research (http://www.wzb.eu/en). WZB researchers come from across the globe and work across social science disciplines including sociology, political science, economics, law, and psychology. A member of the Leibniz Association, WZB’s research is directed at the science community, policy makers, the media and the general public.
The unit’s research uses observational and experimental methods to study major problems related to the political economy of social and political inequality with a focus on the political economy of international development. The successful applicant will work in a dynamic research environment with an international group of scholars.
The student assistants will work to support four researchers: the Director of the department, Professor Macartan Humphreys, Ph.D., and research fellows, Manuel Bosancianu, Ph.D., Nina McMurray Ph.D., and Georgiy Syunyaev.
Your tasks and duties
- supporting research projects at the Institutions and Political Inequality Unit
- data collection and management
- development and maintenance of R packages
- statistical analysis
- literature searches
- creation of data graphics
Your qualifications profill
- advanced Bachelor or a Master student in political science, economics or other social science, or in data science, computer sciences, statistics, or related subjects
- an excellent oral and written command of the English language (working language at the IPI unit is English)
- training and working experience with statistical methods
- excellent R skills
These positions are especially suitable for students who are committed to a long term career in research, are self-starters, and keen to learn new skills and methods.
- remuneration in accordance with TV Stud. III of the state of Berlin (currently EUR 12.96 per hour)
- a well-equipped workplace in the center of Berlin
- international, cooperative, and diversified working environment
- thorough instruction and guidance
- flexible working hours
- we promote a good work-life balance, and our engagement has been certified by audit workandfamily and the European Commission’s Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R)
- cafeteria with modern recreation rooms
Candidates are requested to submit the following documents (all in English) in a single PDF-file
- letter of motivation: please describe your skills, motivations, and long term goals
- valid certificate of enrollment at a German university
We will evaluate all complete applications received by (and including) 8 August 2022.
For application please use our online portal: https://wzb.hr4you.org/job/apply/142/four-student-assistants-f-m-d?page_lang=en
Job interviews will likely take place 25-26 August 2022.
More information about the WZB can be found at https://www.wzb.eu/en and about IPI at https://wzb.eu/en/research/political-economy-of-development/institutions-and-political-inequality.
If you have any questions regarding this job opening, please contact application-ipi(at)wzb.eu.