We seek a highly motivated PhD candidate who will enjoy working in a multinational environment on projects related to infectious diseases in the framework of the “Luxembourg-Laos Partnership for Research and Capacity Building in Infectious Disease Surveillance – PaReCIDS”. The PaReCIDS project was established in 2011 with the goal to develop research and laboratory capacity in Lao People’s Democratic Republic (PDR). In the past years, multiple research studies on hepatitis viruses, measles, rubella and other infectious diseases in the Lao PDR were conducted in close collaboration with staff of the Lao Luxembourg Laboratory at the Institut Pasteur du Laos.
Objectives. Our team focuses on applied infectious disease research, in particular on vaccine-preventable diseases in the Lao PDR. Selected candidates will be expected to contribute to study design and implementation including sample and data collection, result analysis and interpretation as well as training of local staff in the framework of PaReCIDS. The presentation of results at national and international conferences and the writing of scientific manuscripts are also part of the assignments.
Training and research environment. The candidate will be integrated into multinational research teams in Luxembourg and the Lao PDR and will be supervised by Dr Judith Hübschen and Dr Antony Black. Various training opportunities including research, communication, project management and other skills are offered by LIH and the University of Luxembourg.
Links to recent examples of research studies and to the thesis of the previous PaReCIDS PhD student
|Research staff is supported by easy access to scientific expertise, well-equipped facilities and an active seminar program.Scientific contactJudith Hübschen, PhDJudith.Huebschen@lih.lu|
– Hefele, L. Epidemiological and serological investigations of vaccine-preventable diseases and their implications for vaccination policy in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic. 2022. University of Saarland : http://dx.doi.org/10.22028/D291-36098
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree in Biomedical Sciences, Biology, Medicine, Epidemiology or other related fields
- Keen interest in applied infectious disease and public health research
- Strong motivation for international travel and working within the Luxembourg and Lao environments
- Fluency in English is mandatory
- Good information seeking and assimilation skills, motivation to read and critically discuss scientific articles
- Strong analysis and problem-solving capacities
- Determination to overcome hurdles and successfully conclude research studies (perseverance)
- Open to constructive criticism
- Good time management, rigour, scientific creativity, writing and presentation skills
- Sense of priority and ability to work with people with different background and culture
- Experience in standard laboratory methods (for example ELISA, PCR, sequencing…) and in the analysis of epidemiological data, statistics, R, python or Stata is considered an asset
Research staff is supported by easy access to scientific expertise, well-equipped facilities and an active seminar program.
Judith Hübschen, PhD
- Contract type: 3-year fixed-term contract
- Work hours: Full time
- Location: Esch-sur-Alzette
- Start date: January 2023
- Ref: VD/PHDID0822/JH/DII INF3
HOW TO APPLY
Applications including a cover letter and a curriculum vitae should be sent before 15 september 2022 through our website via the apply button below.
Please apply ONLINE formally through this web page.
Applications by email will not be considered.