The project is looking for a full time Postdoctoral Research Fellow with expertise in the heterogeneous catalysis, reaction engineering, solid catalyst synthesis and advanced characterisation. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow is a high quality, emerging researcher with a background in Material Science and Chemical Engineering and a PhD in Heterogeneous Catalysis.
This project involves a large amount of work that needs to be performed by Postdoctoral Research Fellow with a high level of research skills in porous materials, catalytic process engineering and advanced spectroscopy.
Key responsibilities include:
- Conduct research on oil characterisation and testing of catalysts, feedstock feeding system and the selection of the catalyst packing structure, based on a combination of fluid flow and heat transport simulations associated with physical property testing and experimental assessments.
- In conjunction with other staff assist with the setup of the test reactor and ancillaries, in-situ FTIR reactor cell for screening catalysts and reaction mechanisms.
- Evaluate pyrolysis unit with respect to performance and efficiencies, recommend modifications where necessary, provide technical justifications for replacement and adjustments and evaluate results.
- Produce quality research outputs consistent with discipline norms by publishing or exhibiting in national research journals, other appropriate refereed publications and conference publications, with a lead role in some outputs.
- Provide technical advice and research support to undergraduate and postgraduate students involved in relevant projects as required.
- Maintain group laboratories, chemical inventories and ensure storage, following relevant OH&S requirements.
- Work with colleagues in the development of joint research projects and applications for competitive research funding support.
- Contribute to progressing towards transfer of knowledge, technology and practices to research end users through translation, including commercialisation of UQ intellectual property.
- Develop a coherent research program and an emerging research profile.
- Review and draw upon best practice research methodologies.
- Any other duties as reasonably directed by your supervisor.
Supervision and Researcher Development
- Contribute to the effective supervision of Honours and Higher Degree by Research students (as appropriate).
- Demonstrates personal effectiveness in supervision and the management of researcher development.
- Effective lead and develop supervisee performance and conduct by providing feedback, coaching, and professional development.
- As appropriate, manage research support staff effectively throughout the employee lifecycle in accordance with University policy and procedures.
- Working to promptly resolve conflict and grievances when they arise in accordance with University policy and procedures.
Citizenship and Service
- Demonstrate citizenship behaviours that align to the UQ values.
- Shows leadership of self through collaboration and active participation in priority activities for the unit
- Provide support to other academic positions and unit operations as needed during other team members absences.
- Contribute to internal service roles and administrative processes as required, including participation in decision-making and service on relevant committees.
- Collaborate in service activities external to the immediate organisation unit.
- Begin to develop external links and partnerships by cultivating relationships with industry, government departments, professional bodies and the wider community.
This role is subject to The University’s Code of Conduct.
- Completion or near completion of a PhD in Heterogeneous Catalysis, Chemical engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge in process engineering and considerable preliminary experience in catalyst testing in thermochemical gas and liquid phase conversion units.
- An emerging profile in research in the discipline area.
- Evidence of publications in reputed refereed journals and presenting at conferences.
- Some experience in meaningful internal service roles and contributions towards external activities.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team, while taking the lead role for specific projects.
What We Can Offer
This is a full-time, fixed-term position for 2 years at an Academic Level A.
The full-time equivalent base salary will be in the range $72,144.35 to $96,530.67 plus super of up to 17%. The total FTE package will be in the range $84,408.89 to $112,940.88 per annum.
For further information about UQ’s benefits, please visit Why Work at UQ and review The University of Queensland’s Enterprise Bargaining Agreement 2018 – 2021.
To discuss this role please contact Dr Muxina Konarova via email@example.com.
For application queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org stating the job reference number in the subject line.
Want to Apply?
All applicants must upload the following documents in order for your application to be considered:
- Cover letter addressing the ‘About You’ section
Please note that you will be asked to add all documents into the one upload box during the application form.
About The Selection Process
To satisfy pre-requisite questions and ensure your application can be considered in full, all candidates must apply via the UQ Careers portal by the job closing deadline or will not be accepted.
Work Rights: You must have unrestricted work rights in Australia for the duration of this appointment to apply. Visa sponsorship is not available for this appointment.
We value diversity and inclusion, and actively encourage applications from those who bring diversity to the University. Our Diversity and Inclusion webpage contains further information if you require additional support. Accessibility requirements and/or adjustments can be directed to email@example.com.
If you are a current employee of the University, or hold an unpaid or affiliate appointment with the University, please login to your staff Workday account and visit the internal careers board to apply for this opportunity. Please do NOT apply via the external job board.