The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from PhD candidates in the general area of machine learning, simulation-based analysis and smart energy grids. SnT is carrying out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or international partners.
The Centre is rapidly expanding its research activities and is seeking highly motivated PhD candidates who wish to pursue research in close cooperation with our partners. For further information you may check: www.securityandtrust.lu and http://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/serval
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
As the successful candidate, you will join the Security, Reasoning and Validation (SeRVal) group of the SnT, headed by Prof. Yves Le Traon. You will contribute more specifically to a partnership project with Creos S.A., the major energy network manager in Luxembourg. The topic of the project is “Secure, Reliable and Predictable Smart Grids” and it concerns the application of machine learning and simulation techniques to predict the impact of customers’ consumption on the Luxembourgish smart grid. The project involves designing methods to simulate worst-case scenarios (such as incidents) assessing the resilience of the grid to extreme conditions. The project is held in close collaboration with Creos S.A. and, as one of the successful candidates, you will be expected to program prototype tools showcasing the practical benefits of your research outcomes.
The supervision team you will be working with is:
- Dr. Maxime Cordy (supervisor): research scientist
- Prof. Yves Le Traon: head of SerVal
You will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Carrying out research in the predefined areas
- Survey the scientific literature in the relevant research domains
- Disseminating results through scientific publications
- Communicate with the partner to collect requirements and report results
- Implement proof-of-concept software tools
Qualification: The candidate should possess an MSc degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, or in Electrical Engineering with strong programming skills and good knowledge of computer science in general.
Experience: The ideal candidate should have some knowledge and/or experience in a number of the following topics:
- Machine learning
- Simulation-based analysis
- Multi-objective optimization
- Smart energy grids
- Software engineering
- Data collection and storage pipeline
Strong software development skills are mandatory, including the ability to develop quality front end and back end.
Language Skills: Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are required. French is a plus.
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you solid guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 55 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, meal vouchers and health insurance
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
- Boost your career. Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities
But wait, there’s more!
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month (extendable up to 48 months if required)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Employee and student status
- Location: Kirchberg
- Job Reference: UOL05568
The yearly gross salary for every PhD at the UL is EUR 38028 (full time)
How to apply
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- Curriculum Vitae including list of publications and name (and email address, etc) of three referees
- Motivation letter
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken
- Research statement and topics of particular interest to the candidate (300 words)
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com