The Department of Engineering (DoE) is an interdisciplinary group active in the classical domains of civil, electrical and mechanical engineering and geophysics. The main focus of research is on the development of technological solutions, the sustainable and economical use of resources, the offer of competences for the technological requirements of Luxembourg and the Greater Region industrial and public actors. Special emphasis is given to numerical simulation to reduce the required experimental effort, but the validation of the models will remain an essential asset.
The Department of Computer Science (DCS) is one of the main pillars of research excellence at UL. DCS promotes interdisciplinary research and closely cooperates with other high-profile research centres in Luxembourg and beyond, as well as with industry and society. The DCS entertains various successful and growing teaching programs and supports lifelong learning activities. It strongly profits from Luxembourg’s involvement in the EU High Performance Computing initiative.
To strengthen and diversify the existing skills and expertise in the Department of Computer Science and the Department of Engineering, the chosen candidate will set up a research group in their field of expertise bridging the fields of Computer Science and Engineering. The candidate will seek cooperation with researchers from within the two departments, but also with researchers from other departments, faculties, and centers, or external Luxembourgish research institutions. Interdisciplinary research will allow the candidate to achieve practical impact.
(S)he will contribute to the teaching missions of the departments at various levels (Bachelor, Master, PhD). The successful candidate will supervise PhD candidates and contribute to doctoral and postdoctoral training (e.g. organization of research seminars, reading groups, winter and summer schools, etc.).
Academic salaries are very competitive and among the highest in Europe.
The Faculty of Science, Technology, and Medicine (FSTM) is seeking to hire a candidate with an excellent international track record, a strong interdisciplinary research background in Computer Science and/or Engineering, and who is open for interdisciplinary collaborations with both academia and industry.
The selected candidate will contribute to the strategy of the Department of Computer Science and the Department of Engineering by developing research at the highest level of academic excellence, with a specific focus on the crossroads between computer science and electrical engineering.
What we expect from you…
This encompasses a broad spectrum of areas including, but not restricted, to:
- AI and machine learning applications in industry (e.g. predictive maintenance)
- Networks for industry
- Systems control
- IoT networks (e.g. sensors, operating systems, linked data)
- Digital signal processing for industrial communications, or
- Wireless and intelligent communication
These topics are just indicative; applicants from other cross-disciplinary computer science/engineering areas are encouraged to apply to this position as well.
The selected candidate will have a successful experience in teaching of related aspects and should be willing to contribute to the teaching missions of the two departments, as well as to administrative tasks.
We offer an international team at a young and dynamic university, an interdisciplinary research environment, and a wide network of academic, institutional, and corporate partners.
Special consideration will be given to female candidates to address the gender balance within the faculty.
Qualifications, experience, aptitude
- PhD degree in Computer Science with a strong background in Electrical Engineering or a PhD degree in Electrical Engineering with a strong background in Computer Science
- A strong track record in research
- Experience in teaching at the undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate level
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Good organizational and management skills
- Experience in acquiring and managing research projects
The University of Luxembourg is set in a multilingual context. The person hired on this position must be proficient in English and either French or German. The University encourages its staff to learn the other language and provides access to language courses to this end.
- Contract type: Fixed-term contract (Tenure possible after 5 years upon positive evaluation by an international committee). In case of excellent more senior candidates, the recruitment might be done at the level of tenured Associate professor
- Earliest starting date: January 2024
- Work hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Job reference: UOL05685 / F1-030028 (to be mentioned in all correspondence)
How to apply…
Applications should contain (in PDF format in English mentioning the job opening reference):
- A motivation letter
- A 1-page research statement
- A 1-page teaching statement
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Full list of publications
- The names of at least 4 references, who can, upon request, provide reference letters on the applicant
We ensure a full consideration for applications received by 15/09/2023. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
- Prof. Dr. Stephan Leyer / Head of the Department of Engineering / email@example.com
- Prof. Dr. Nicolas Navet / Interim Head of the Department of Computer Science / DCS_Head@uni.lu
- Prof. Dr Jean-Marc Schlenker / Dean of FSTM / firstname.lastname@example.org
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
The University of Luxembourg
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide
The Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) contributes multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of its five Departments Mathematics, Physics and Materials, Engineering, Computer Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. Through its dual mission of teaching and research, the FSTM seeks to generate and disseminate knowledge and train new generations of responsible citizens, in order to better understand, explain and advance society and environment we live in.
Over 2000 students are enrolled in 8 bachelors, 18 masters, 1 doctoral school and lifelong learning programmes. Students are being mentored by a team of 80 international and renowned professors and senior lecturers. The FSTM offers excellent working environment and opportunities with multilingual and small-group courses, early involvement in research projects and close connections with institutions and industries.
Luxembourg is a cosmopolitan country, the green heart of Europe combining the convenience of a metropolis with a human touch (www.euraxess.lu). There are International/European schools and international tracks in local schools, as well as an excellent childcare system, making it quite possible to reconcile an active academic activity with a happy family life. The main part of the University is situated in Esch-Belval, a new and modern campus in a highly original environment with excellent public transport connections.