SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through research partnerships with industry, boosting R&D investments leading to economic growth, and attracting highly qualified talent.
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
Successful candidates will join a new, vibrant, and interdisciplinary Research Group, focusing on software engineering aspects of smart software systems, i.e. software that embeds AI components. As such, the group conducts research on the application and the impact of AI in software engineering (and vice versa) and on the best open source building blocks required to build such smart systems.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to the domain of software bots with an emphasis on social and collaboration bots required to assist in the development of complex smart systems as part of a community effort.
The candidate will carry out research in the context of the Building Better Smart Software Faster (BESSER) research project. BESSER is a FNR PEARL research project that aims at empowering both developers and non-technical individuals to leverage AI advancements and low- code/no-code techniques to boost the development of complex software. In particular, BESSER will build the world’s first open source intelligent low-code platform for the development of smart systems.
The candidate should possess a MSc degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence or a related field.
What we’re looking for:
- A collaborative team player with a desire to make a personal impact within our interdisciplinary research group
- The commitment to participate in the design and implementation of high-quality solutions that solve significant problems
- Self-initiative, creativity, curiosity, flexibility and enthusiasm to work
Knowledge and Experience:
The ideal candidate should have some knowledge and/or experience in one or several of the following areas:
- Design of domain-specific languages to create better languages to express at a platform-independent level the features and skills of bots
- Development of bots, in particular, experience in the creation of bots or other third-party components for open-source systems interfacing with the GitHub / GitLab / …. APIs
- Mining software repositories, in particular repositories of ML artefacts, to find promising open source projects to be part of the project
- Empirical studies on collaborative-software development, e.g. to be able to evaluate the quality and ‘health’ of communities around the preselected components before choosing the best one for the project at hand
Language Skills: Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are required. Knowledge of either French, German or Luxembourgish will be appreciated but are not a requirement to apply.
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you solid guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 55 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, meal vouchers and health insurance
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
- Boost your career. Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities
But wait, there’s more!
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month (extendable up to 48 months if required)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Kirchberg
- Employee and student status
- Job Reference: UOL05958
The yearly gross salary for every PhD at the UL is EUR 39953 (full time)
How to apply
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- Full CV, including the contact address and work experience
- Cover letter
- A statement on the candidate’s personal motivation for applying (why a doctoral program, why in Luxembourg, minimum 300 words)
- A statement on the candidate’s motivation for applying for this topic (minimum 300 words)
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken (Bachelor’s and Master’s degree or equivalent)
- Candidate’s higher education entrance qualification (e.g., high school diploma)
- Reference letters by prior employers
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org