SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through research partnerships with industry, boosting R&D investments leading to economic growth, and attracting highly qualified talent.
The Centre is rapidly expanding its research activities and is seeking highly motivated doctoral candidates who wish to pursue research in close cooperation with our partners. For further information you may check: www.securityandtrust.lu and https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/finatrax
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
Successful candidates will join the young, vibrant, and interdisciplinary FINATRAX Research Group, which builds bridges between business research and information systems engineering. The group conducts research on the application and the impact of digital technologies like DLT/Blockchain, Digital Identities, Machine Learning/AI, and IoT/5G on organisations from both the private and public sectors. The group consists of doctoral and postdoctoral researchers from diverse backgrounds (e.g., policy, business, technology), united in pursuit of sustainable technologies that positively impact society. For more information, please visit our website: https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/finatrax/projects
Successful candidates will pursue a Ph.D. degree (Doctorate) in computer science / software engineering while (most probably) being assigned to an industry partnership with ENOVOS. In this project, the aim is to bridge the gap between large language models (LLMs) and task automation, enabling natural language interaction, that is, via a chatbot, to access and control automation tools safely. In particular, architectures enabling the communication between LLMs and task automation tools as well as corresponding security and business implications will be investigated.
In general, the candidate will perform the following tasks:
- Carry out research in fields of interest to the research group, such as:
- Deploying and benchmarking state-of-the-art LLMs with respect to cost, performance, and data protection
- Developing and deploying LLM based architectures for task automation
- Exploration of online, transfer, and reinforcement learning techniques
- Investigation of state-of-the-art methods from explainable AI and adaptation of suitable methods for task automation
- Disseminate results through scientific publications in outlets on the intersection between information systems and computer science
- Support the conceptualization and writing of research proposals to attract industry partnerships as well as national and European grant projects
- Conduct research projects and create project deliverables
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Data Science, Information Systems (Engineering), or related fields with an AI background
- Strong programming skills in at least one major programming language
- Interest in cloud-based architectures
- Familiarity with relevant LLMs and interest in semantic/cognitive search are beneficial
- A collaborative team player with a desire to make a personal impact within our interdisciplinary research group
- The commitment to participate in the design and implementation of high-quality solutions that solve
- Self-initiative, creativity, curiosity, flexibility and enthusiasm to work
- The position requires English-language proficiency for both written and verbal communication. Knowledge of French, German and/or Luxembourgish is not required
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you solid guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 55 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, meal vouchers and health insurance
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
- Boost your career. Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities
But wait, there’s more!
- Complete picture of perks we offer: https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/join_us
- Discover our Partnership Programme: https://wwwfr.uni.lu/snt/partnership_programme
- Download the brochure: Why choose SnT for your PhD: https://wwwen.uni.lu/content/download/130340/1497215/file/202010_Universite_SNT-Brochure-M10-WEB.pdf
- Why choose SnT? https://wwwfr.uni.lu/snt/join_us/why_choose_snt
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month (extendable up to 48 months if required)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Kirchberg
- Job Reference: UOL05866
- Employee and student status
- Starting Date: asap
The yearly gross salary for every PhD at the UL is EUR 39953 (full time)
How to apply
Applications, written in English should be submitted through the University’s job portal and should include:
- A cover letter including:
- A statement on the candidate’s personal motivation for applying (why a doctoral program, why in Luxembourg, minimum 300 words)
- A statement on the candidate’s motivation for applying for this topic (minimum 300 words)
- Full CV, including the contact address and work experience
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken (Bachelor’s and Master’s degree or equivalent)
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact Johannes Sedlmeir (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Gilbert Fridgen (email@example.com). Use the job title and reference number mentioned above in the subject line of your email.