The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) contributes multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. Through its dual mission of teaching and research, the FSTM seeks to generate and disseminate knowledge and train new generations of responsible citizens, in order to better understand, explain and advance society and environment we live in.
Since 2006, the University of Luxembourg has invested into its own High Performance Computing (HPC) facilities. Special focus was laid on the development of large computing power combined with huge data storage capacity to accelerate the research performed in intensive computing and large-scale data analytic.
In order to face the growing needs and new projects of the University of Luxembourg, the Digital Platforms team has been created to install, extend, operate and administrate the HPC platform, composed of 2 HPC clusters, Iris and Aion.
To reinforce this team on the Belval campus, the UL is looking for highly qualified individuals to play a key role in the administration and support of the HPC facilities.
As a member of our team, you will have the opportunity to work with new and advanced technologies as well as experimental systems.
- Contribution to the system analysis and design of the future infrastructure expansions (hardware & software)
- Contribution to development, and automation of provisioning and configuration management of a Linux-based infrastructure, including but not limited to HPC clusters, parallel storage systems and heterogeneous network equipments
- Deployment of new systems according to best security practices and creation of the associated documentation
- Participation in the daily operations, monitoring of the HPC clusters, response to incidents in a coordinated manner
- Troubleshooting, perform root cause analysis and resolving system and application problems with users, peers, vendors, and management
- Serving as a privileged interface with the users of the UL HPC platform and contributing to the tutoring and training of UL staff members
- Contribution to the first-line support of the HPC facilities (bug tracking, documentation) and provide second-line support (system expertise, hardware maintenance, SLA enforcement)
What we expect from you…
- Master in Computer Science, or equivalent degree, ideally with a specialty in systems, networks and applications administrations
- Expert knowledge in GNU/Linux system administration (Red Hat and derivatives)
- Good knowledge in at least one scripting language (Bash, Python, Ruby), in Version Control Systems (Git) and in virtualization and containers technologies
- Solid understanding of networked computing environment (Ethernet, Infiniband)
- System administration “best practices” are part of all actions
- Prior experience with HPC technologies is a plus, this includes Job Scheduler (Slurm), parallel and distributed filesystems (SpectrumScale/GPFS or Lustre)
- Strong capacity to acquire knowledge and to stay up-to-date with HPC technologies
- Experience in installing and maintaining clustered environments using automated installation methods and at least one configuration management suites (such as Puppet, Ansible)
- Excellent communication skills and capacity of relationship management
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Internal Title: Research and development specialist
- Job Reference: UOL05864
How to apply…
Applications should include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …