The power electronics & EMC (PE) group at the University of Twente has a vacancy for a Ph.D. student in the project “Accumulation-Mode BIdiswitch FArm for energy efficient battery chargers” (AMBIFAlent). This project aims to investigate the physics of novel vertical bidirectional switches, in a trench MOS process, to reduce the power consumption in battery chargers.
You will address device modelling and device (TCAD) simulation aspects of these new nanoscale devices and perform extended electrical characterization of those electron devices. A major challenge of your research is to develop novel power semiconductor devices and perform electrical analysis of the envisaged devices.
The project is financed by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) in the domain Applied and Engineering Sciences (TTW). You will carry out the research at the University in Enschede, The Netherlands, and several experienced supervisors (Dr. Ray Hueting, Prof. Gert Rietveld) will give you daily guidance. Collaboration is an important aspect of the PhD position. You will extensively collaborate with a PhD student and experiences scientific staff members of the Mescoscale Chemical Systems (MCS) group, part of the department of Science and Technology. In addition, you will work in close collaboration with a wide span of companies such as IQE, Nexperia, and NXP Semiconductors.
Teaching activities will take 10%-20% of your time.
- You are highly motivated and an enthusiastic researcher (F/M).
- You have a MSc degree in electrical engineering, nanotechnology, applied physics or a related topic, with excellent theoretical, programming and experimental skills.
- You have shown strong affinity with semiconductors, semiconductor physics and modelling.
- You have good team spirit and like to work in an internationally oriented environment.
- You are fluent in English.
- As a PhD student at UT, you will be appointed to a full-time position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year, within a very stimulating and exciting scientific environment;
- The University offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues;
- Your salary and associated conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU);
- You will receive a gross monthly salary ranging from € 2.541,- (first year) to € 3.247,- (fourth year);
- There are excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme;
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid);
- You will have a training programme as part of the Twente Graduate School where you and your supervisors will determine a plan for a suitable education and supervision;
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other staff.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Are you interested in this position? Please send your application before August 15th, 2022 and include:
- an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation to apply for this position,
- a detailed CV (resume),
- a publication list,
- contact details of at least 2 referees,
- an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education,
- and a TOEFL or IELTS score to verify sufficient mastering of the English language.
An interview will be part of the selection procedure.
For more information about the position, please contact our secretary Mrs. Lillian Hannink at email@example.com