Department: Department of Engineering Management
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Engineering Managemnt in the Faculty of Business and Economics and the research group Environmental Economics (department of economics) of the Faculty of Business Economics (Hasselt University) is looking for a doctoral scholarship holder in the field of energy and environmental economics.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis Applied Economics. The increasing level of renewable energy and associated challenges for the energy system lead to the expectation that flexibility services (such as smart charging of electric vehicles) at low voltage will increase in the coming years. This evolution is driven by the shift from passive to active grid users that may provide flexibility both individually and collectively and hence support the security of supply and grid stability. Against this backdrop, a research project was awarded by the Energy Transition Fund. The chosen candidate will primarily be responsible for developing, conducting and reporting on research on flexibility services provided by individuals or energy communities using discrete choice experiments.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You work actively on a joint PhD of the University of Antwerp and Hasselt University.
- You will participate at national and international conferences.
- You can communicate your research results in a clear manner to a wide range of actors.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks.
- You hold a Master degree in (Applied) Economics, Business Engineering (or similar) or you will have obtained it by the time you start to work.
- You can demonstrate good study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You enjoy working interdisciplinary.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of one years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for a total period of maximum 4 years.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will work in a dynamic and stimulating working environment at both the University of Antwerp (city campus) and the Faculty of Business Economics (Hasselt University).
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
- More information about working at UHasselt? Please look at https://www.uhasselt.be/human-resources for the staff benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 1 September 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following dates: Friday 9 September 2022 (interview).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Steven Van Passel (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Sebastien Lizin (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.