Founded in 1607, Justus Liebig University Giessen (JLU) is a research university rich in tradition. Inspired by curiosity about the unknown, we enable around 28,000 students and 5,700 employees to advance science for society. Join us in breaking new ground and writing success stories – your own and those of our university.
Support us as soon as possible in part-time (75 %) as a
Doctoral student (m/f/d)
in the field of color perception
The position is part of the project “Color 3.0”, externally funded by an ERC Advanced Grant, and is limited until 31.08.2025 at theChair of General Psychology at the Faculty of Psychology and Sports Science. The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 13 TV-H).
We offer excellent facilities for studying visual perception. These include state of the art eyetracking labs and mobile eyetracking, several psychophysics labs with calibrated color displays, a newly established virtual reality lab and a research-dedicated MRI facility (3T Siemens Prisma). The lab is part of a larger research group, with excellent links to scientists within Europe and worldwide (http://www.allpsych.uni-giessen.de), which offers a stimulating, multi-national and multi-disciplinary research environment (http://www.sfb-perception.de). Giessen is a university town, located just 60 km north of Frankfurt, right at the center of Germany.
We are a highly international group of enthusiastic vision scientists, aiming to understand how color is perceived in the real world. Our main methods are psychophysics, VR, deep learning, eyetracking, fMRI and computational modelling.
Your tasks at a glance
- Scientific collaboration in the third party funded research project “Color 3.0: an object oriented approach to color”
- Data analysis
- Results will be prepared for publication and presented at international conferences
- In addition to working on the project, there is the opportunity to do a doctorate
Your qualifications and competences
- Master degree in Experimental Psychology or a related field (e.g. Neuroscience, Biology, Computer Science)
- Knowledge and skills in perceptual psychology and oculomotor science as well as interest in basic research and experimental work
- Extensive experience in programming is advantageous, but not a strict requirement
Our offer to you
- A varied job with flexible working hours
- Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
- More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e-learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities.
- Remuneration according to TV-H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- Good compatibility of family and career (certificate “audit familiengerechte hochschule”)
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Prof. Dr. Gegenfurtner by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
You want to break new ground with us?
Apply via our online form by August 31st, 2022, indicating reference number 512/06. We look forward to receiving your application.