The Leibniz Institute on Aging – Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) in Jena is a federal and state government-funded Research institute and member of the Leibniz Association (Leibniz-Gemeinschaft). FLI’ s internationally visible and highly competitive research is focused on understanding the mechanisms of aging and associated age-related diseases. Scientists from over 40countries are currently investigating the molecular mechanisms of aging and the occurrence of age-related diseases. Our aimis to create the basis for new approaches in medicine as a way to improve the health of the elderly (www.leibniz-fli.de).
The new research group of Dr. Melike Dönertas to be established in January 2023 is looking for an exceptional candidate for a senior bioinformatician (m/f/d) to establish data analysis pipelines and support the PhD students and postdocs in their projects.
Research focus of the Lab:
The new research group of Dr. Melike Dönertas at the Leibniz Institute on Aging – Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) is part of theDFG-funded Collaborative Research Center on Predictability in Evolution (http://SFB1310). The group is funded by http://Carl-Zeiss Stiftung. Through the institute and network of collaborations, the group has access to state-of-art animal facilities, equipment for high-throughput data generation, and expertise for experimental validation of computational models. The groupis establishing an advanced computational infrastructure with CPU and GPU servers and has access to exceptional core-facility support. More information about the group: https://donertas-group.github.io
Tasks and Challenges:
The overall responsibility of the candidate will be to develop and run computational pipelines to preprocess and integrate datasets from high-throughput experiments and perform exploratory data analysis.
will help establish pipelines for the preprocessing and exploratory analysis of 16S amplicon sequencing, longand short-read metagenomics, RNAseq, sc-RNAseq, proteomics, and metabolomics datasets
● will be responsible for the research data management in the lab
● will support the PhD students and postdocs in their projects
● will be expected to work harmoniously with other computational and experimental biologists at the lab and institute to develop collaborative projects
● PhD or equal years of hands-on experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, computer science, biology or related fields
● Experience in high-throughput data preprocessing and analysis
● Knowledge of R and/or python
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
● Experience in workflow management systems (e.g.Snakemake) will be preferred.
● A motivated team that is building a new international research group – you can help create it! The institute is embedded within the multidisciplinary Jena Beutenberg Campus, an interdisciplinary base for innovative research.
● A position integrated in the FLI PostDoc Network. The Network promotes interdisciplinary collaborations involving clinician scientists, basic scientists and bioinformaticians and supports career development and postdoctoral training courses.
● The contract conditions and the salary will be according to the collective labour agreement for public service employees of the federal states of Germany (TV-L E13) for 2 years initially, with a possibility of extension. Expected starting date: January 2023
● Flexible working time, a family friendly working environment including support for child care solutions and http://dual career.
Please apply online through the FLI application portal by 01.09.2022 and provide a cover letter, your CV, your degrees and the names and contacts of 3 referees.